The U.S. Department of Education meta-analysis of online education found some of the following facts:
• Students who took all or part of their class online performed better, on average, than those taking the same course through traditional face-to-face instruction.
• Instruction combining online and face-to-face elements had a larger advantage relative to purely face-to-face instruction than did purely online instruction.
• Studies in which learners in the online condition spent more time on task than students in the face-to-face condition found a greater benefit for online learning.
• The effectiveness of online learning appears quite broad across different content and learner types.
• Online learning can be enhanced by giving learners control of their interactions with media and prompting learner reflection.
• Providing guidance for learning for groups of students appears less successful than using such mechanisms with individual learners
Student Opinions of Distance Learning
“Online learning has been a great learning experience for me. It’s taught me to be more disciplined as well as to become more organized. Although it seems to be a little more difficult than seated class, the convenience of it is beneficial because I can work around my busy schedule. Finding time to go to class and finish my degree was difficult but with the online classes I can obtain my degree from the convenience of my home. I would highly recommend online courses to anyone who works full time and has a hectic schedule.”Georgetta Lowery Education Student Ozarks Technical Community College
“I wouldn’t have been able to go to college if it weren’t for online classes. When I started, I was a busy mom with 2 kids and working 50+ hours a week. I am involved with PTA at both school and lots of other activities with my kids. There is no way I could have fit in class hours. With online classes, I can squeeze in class time whenever I have time and wherever I am. Online classes have made it possible for me to continue my education. I wouldn’t have gone back to school if it weren’t for online classes.”Jacque Harris
Ozarks Technical Community College
Please share with us your thoughts on distance learning.